Packing

Packing for over a month is no easy task. Especially when you don't know what to expect, and you can't really replace the things you forgot in a foreign country. I thought we would be able to get away with 4 suitcases, but alas we packed 6 large suitcases, plus a carry on for each of us! The really sad part is in talking to my brother, his family goes to Spain every other year for 7-8 weeks and they each take one carry on. I completely fail compared to you, Ric :)



Some of the highlights:

Seattle Suitcase: On the way we are stopping over for a short visit with my brother Ric and his family. We do have to take all our luggage off the plane and recheck it when we leave Seattle, but at least it breaks up the flight a little bit.

Hudson's Suitcase: School stuff, paper, his beloved 72 pack of Prismacolor pencils, Monopoly, Battleship, about 20 books, a giant lego bag, two new lego sets, 3 stuffed animals, and random other treasures. Im hoping this is enough to keep him engaged and entertained on rainy days. Seoul gets an average of 15 inches of rain in the month of July, so umbrellas for all of us!

Gift suitcase: It is customary to bring gifts for your hosts in the country, who are local 3M employees who set up things like transport, rental car, etc.

Clothes: This took up two suitcases. It would have been more, but Chris has packing folders by the dozen that help shrink it down. Its hard to know what to pack based on the rainy weather. Every website I have read mentioned an average temp of 75, which would be fantastic. However, every time I glance at the temp in Seoul on my iPhone, it is more like high 80's and low 90's. With over 70% humidity. Not looking forward to that, to be honest. I packed three pairs of shoes for Hudson (Star Wars crocs, native Jeffersons, and his nike tennis shoes). I packed my Birkenstocks, nike tennis shoes, sketchers, and a pair of Payless dexflex flats, which are seriously the most comfortable flats I own. Chris packed...well, Im not sure to be honest. I see some flip flops, random brown shoes, tennis shoes and his Birkenstocks, but he may be hiding shoes somewhere that I am not aware of.

Toiletries: There are a lot of things that will be more difficult to find in Seoul. Like deodorant. And brand name toothpaste. And lady stuff, hehe. As you can imagine I packed these things in bulk. I've never really thought about how long a tube of toothpaste lasts, so I likely overdid it, but Hudson is pretty brand loyal to toothpaste. First World Problems, I know. The other thing we considered is that we will be brushing our teeth with bottled water, so in the case of any random travel we packed a lot of toothbrushes.

I think those are the main things. If you really must know, 3 of the 6 suitcases were overweight, and the biggest was 68 pounds. Minneapolis did not charge us (thanks Delta Skypriority man, you rock). Seattle charged a whopping $200 for the overweight baggage.

You bored yet? I'm mainly writing this as a record of sorts for our trip, so sorry if it is completely mundane and boring. Get used to it :)




edit

No comments:

Post a Comment